Small Arts Organisations
The State Government commissioned Deloitte in 2006-07 to conduct research and evaluation of Victoria's small arts organisations and their contribution to the State's cultural landscape.
The research consisted of a series of stakeholder interviews, public meetings, focus groups and a comprehensive survey of the sector across the State. More than 300 organisations were surveyed across all artforms including:
- visual arts and craft,
- writing and publishing, and
- new media.
For the first time, this research provides an in-depth picture of the small arts landscape in Victoria and its chief characteristics. It reveals that small arts organisations:
- Are significant generators of new ideas and work
- Attract and engage new and diverse audiences and participants to the arts, including disadvantaged groups
- Stimulate economic activity
- Provide significant employment opportunities for artists and arts worker
- Promote professionalism in the arts, providing training and skills development opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to cultural export and tourism
The research also includes an assessment of government support to the sector and the difference it makes; and highlights the key challenges for the sector.